As stipulated in Section 4 of the NCHE Act, of 2011 The COUNCIL consists of six persons appointed by the Minister on account of high professional standing, special knowledge, skills and expertise in matters related to higher education in order to provide policy oversight.
In addition, the Act provides for the inclusion of the following ex-officio members:
- The Secretary for Education or his designated representative;
- The Secretary to the Treasury or his designated representative;
- The Comptroller of Statutory Corporations or is designated representative;
- The Secretary for Human Resource Management and Development;
- Two Vice Chancellors to represent public universities; and
- One Vice Chancellor to represent public universities.
The Secretariat headed by the Chief Executive Officer, supports Council in the execution of its mandate. The Secretariat is organized into two main departments, namely Accreditation and Quality Assurance, and Corporate Services.